I’ve been lucky enough to have been nominated for a few blogging awards this year. It’s great being nominated, it really is. But the coolest thing about it is that your peers recognize something in you that quite possibly you don’t see in yourself. Your winning smile, perhaps? No. They can’t “see” you, unless they’re psychic or something. Then that’s just creepy. What if they saw me in that He-Man costume the other….well, never mind. No, these awards are based on your true personality. What you’ve got brewing on the inside is what comes across on these web pages…these blog chapters…these online journal entries…“Hi Diary! Today was like, soooo friggin’ awesome! We got frozen yogurt and mom took me shopping for new acid-washed jeans and I got the new Terence Trent D’Arby cassette…” Well, it’s not quite like that, but you get the picture.
So Monday morning David over at Sounds Like Orange nominated me for this Fab Award. Check out his original post right here. What does this mean? Well, I’m not an honorary mop top(damn!). From what I can tell it’s an award that allows you to say nice things about yourself. Talk about what things about you make you damn fabulous. For me, this is hard. Not that I don’t think I have great qualities. It’s just that me talking about my own great qualities sorta goes against my own policy of “no self-congratulatory” talk. When I talk I usually like talking about other things that I think are fabulous; such as music, films, books, a fabulous cup of coffee, that fabulous orangutan wearing the fireman helmet at the zoo, that fabulous pizza I made the other night(there I go, bragging about myself). Ehh, who cares. I make a hell of a pizza. Hey, that wasn’t so bad. All right, here we go.
Here’s the rules:
- Refer back to the blogger that nominated you for the award!
- Tell us something about yourself, but not just anything… Really boast about yourself. Why? Because you’re FRIGGIN’ AWESOME, that’s why! Tell us why you’re awesome, and make us believe it! You can do this in as many points as you like, but I’d recommend 7-10. You’re AWESOME! Show off a little bit!
- Nominate as many other bloggers as you like. No restrictions on this one. You have one or one thousand bloggers you think are awesome, nominate away! It’s up to you how many bloggers you nominate.
cool fabulous things about me:
1. When I was just a small boy, my parents found me in a field after falling from the sky in a meteor. Wait, no. Not me, sorry. Umm, I can make a room full of Hubner children(and wife) laugh at the drop of a hat. I can turn those frowns upside down in seconds flat with nothing more than a quick wit, a few curse words, and a farting zombie reference.
2. As I stated before, I’m a hell of a pizza maker. But not only am I a pizza chef, I’m a short order cook of the domesticated variety. If there’s a box of penne pasta, some squash, and a little whipping cream in the fridge I can turn that into an emergency meal that won’t taste like an emergency meal.
3. I can get vomit cleaned up in a darkened hallway at 3am lickety split.
4. I’ve been known to write a song or two…in an afternoon. I can half ass play many instruments, and for four years I gave guitar lessons. I’m not a very fabulous guitar teacher, but we had fun anyways.
5. There isn’t a messy house I can’t whip into shape(unless we’re talking Hoarders messy, then I’d just set the place on fire and walk away).
6. I have had many people tell me how good and kind my kids are, so that could be a reflection of myself(and my wife). Just sayin’.
7. I think I might have a knack for writing. Possibly.
8. I came in fourth place in a “Hot Licks” guitar contest back when I was 16. I feel embarrassed for typing that. Not the fact that I came in fourth place(should’ve been third…maybe second), but that I just typed the phrase “Hot Licks”.
9. I feel I have a gift for helping others hash out their problems. I’m not quite Lucy with the Psychiatrist booth…but I’m close.
All right, enough about me. Here’s a couple folks you should check out as they are damn fabulous as well:
Don’t You Tell Me How I Feel is, in their own words, “We are a couple of bitches who have a lot to say about the record you put out.”
Enough said. Check these two ladies out. They might be at a show in Brooklyn, so check back often.
Casual, Possibly Non-Sensical Ramblings is another great blog site filled with insightful writing and a distinct voice from someone with a voice worth hearing.
Wires & Waves is a blog run by a gal named Heidi Moreno. She posts about something close to my heart: music. She loves music, and good music to boot. I first came across her blog around the time of Record Store Day this year. She spent her RSD 2013 chillin’ at Amoeba Music in L.A. I spent mine in a cornfield. Lucky for me I didn’t have a line that stretched a city block to wait in. She did. Go see what she’s doing. You’ll be glad you did.
Backseat Mafia is a blog run by a guy named Jim. It’s contributors are more than just Jim. They talk about music. Some you’ve heard of, and some you haven’t. I like Jim and the rest of the writers over there. Jim even lets me post ramblings over there from time to time. He even wrote about yours truly right here.
There are so many that I could post about and brag about, but I only have so much time in a day and these four are blogs that I think are truly under-appreciated. Insightful, thoughtful writing, with something to say.
Thanks for coming back often and reading what I have to say. This is an avenue of release for me. It’s my home away from home. And my home within my home, I suppose. I’d keep spewing anecdotes and thought bubbles regardless of whether I had an audience or not, but it sure is a hell of a lot more fun with you all coming along. I’m only as fabulous as you all make me. So I guess I’m pretty f*****g fabulous!